Monday, August 4, 2008

Journal # 4 Google Earth (Gearth)

I never really knew exactly how google earth worked or much about it. I have briefly gone to the website and seen how it works once or twice and I knew it was a virtual globe that helped to find locations but I would have never thought that it could be used in the classroom to help teach certain content other than geography until now that is. On the classroom 2.0 website when I clicked on google earth I found some interesting answers. One woman wrote about a website that uses google earth in the math curriculum called Real World Math – Using Google Earth in the Math Curriculum. This website apparently provides lessons and activities by using math with technology. There are twenty lessons on the site to begin with and new ideas keep arising. The content may be on the difficult side to grasp therefore it is best used for grades five and up. What a fun and innovative idea to take something three dimensional and fun to explore and apply its use to inventive ways to teach subjects such as math. I never really got in to math growing up but if it was taught with google earth I think I would have had a different approach and attitude when it came to applying myself to mathematics.

3 comments:

Jamie Inarda said...

I have actually played around with google earth and have seen my house and the university and other random things such as that. However I did not know that this tool could be so beneficial in the classroom. It is good to know because it is such an easy tool to use.

kelciejoiner said...

I think it is awesome to see how google earth could be applied to the classroom, especially using math. I know that math was and still is the toughest subject for me. Maybe I would have understood it better using a program such as this. I did not know, either, that this tool could be used so well in the classroom. I am glad that it could be easy to navigate around. That would leave room to teach the younger students how it works.

Sisters Sheeba said...

I have several friends that are obsessed with Google Earth. I didn't find anything amazing about it personally until I used it in a French class I was teaching and we looked up some places in Europe.